Deciding to stop using drugs and alcohol is always a good one. There are times of the year that may be a bit more difficult to manage as you work on staying sober. The summer months can be of particular concern if you and your friends are used to engaging in these substances. When staying sober gets tough, having access to continuing care is critical. At Alina Lodge, we offer a wide range of opportunities to remain connected so you’re never alone, including continuing care.
Staying Sober This Summer Doesn’t Have to Be Boring
Don’t put yourself in a position for mistakes to happen. Instead, make this summer a time to thrive. Have a few plans in place that keep you from being exposed to triggers that put you on the path to relapse. At the same time, don’t be afraid to have fun. Here are some tips to making the most out of summer without putting yourself at risk.
- Surround yourself with the right people – Avoid people who use drugs or alcohol or those who will not avoid using those substances around you. It’s okay if you cannot include everyone in your life right now. Those who want you to succeed will take steps to help you and not put you at risk.
- Don’t give up favorite activities – If things like a cookout are common for you during this time of the year, embrace them with changes. For example, make them all about having fun in new ways. Incorporate water fun. Make food more of the focus.
- Stay busy – During the summer months, you may have more time to do things with friends and family. That’s the perfect way to get your mind off of the challenges. Hike more. Spend time on a lake with friends. Head out on a camping trip without bringing any substances to use.
- Find a way to give back – During this summer, volunteer at a support group. Come back to your treatment center to volunteer to help others. By engaging in activities like this, you’re going to feel good about yourself.
- Build more meaningful relationships – Surround yourself with people who support you and then communicate with them. Open up. Embrace the past challenges you’ve had now while you’re sober. During the summer, therapy is available to help you to do this.
The more activities you engage in, the more you’ll enjoy a healthy, full life. Take a class that’s important for the career you want to have. Go back home to spend more time with close family that you haven’t seen in a while. Work on rebuilding relationships with those who are important to you. Step away from those people who cannot change for you.
Sober Living Doesn’t Have to Feel Limiting
In the right environment, you’ll have access to the care and support you need to maintain sobriety. There may be times that seem difficult, putting you at risk for relapse. In those moments, know where to go for help. Alina Lodge offers ongoing care and support to those struggling with addiction recovery. Even if you feel okay but are battling stress or conflicts, know that you can reach out for help at any time. Check out some of our programs:
- Residential treatment program
- Long-term treatment program
- Men’s only treatment program
- Women’s only treatment program
- Dual diagnosis treatment program
- Drug detox center
Learn More Ways to Stay Sober this Summer at Alina Lodge
Staying sober is an ongoing process. Making the decision not to use today is the only important decision you have to make. Over time, you’ll feel more confident and think less about using. Yet, today, it’s best to seek help to get on the right path. Alina Lodge can provide that support to you. Learn more about how when you call 833.685.1700 or reach out to us now online.