Workplace stress and burnout are some of the most common reasons why many turn to alcohol to self-medicate. Alcohol is the most common addictive substance used in America, and the workplace is no exception. Drinks with colleagues during happy hour or drinking to feel better after a rough day at work are common among the American workforce. Alcohol abuse can affect workers from all walks of life, whether working in an office, construction site, or from home.
It’s perfectly normal to feel nervous about a boss, co-worker, or employee dealing with alcohol addiction. It may reflect on the company’s image or affect morale. However, learning more about addiction in the workplace and the signs can help ease nerves and allow someone to quit drinking sooner. At Alina Lodge in Blairstown, NJ, our team is happy to support those concerned that someone in their life may require an executive rehab program. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us online or call us at 833.685.1700 today.
Recognizing Alcoholism in the Workplace
There are four key aspects to focus on when trying to identify an alcohol addiction in the workplace. These are workplace relationships, work performance, attendance, and behavior in the workplace. If you are worried that someone at your workplace may be dealing with alcohol addiction, pay attention to signs such as:
- They struggle to maintain positive relationships with others at work, including tense, strained, or even aggressive interactions.
- Their appearance is not professional, and they show poor hygiene and grooming habits.
- They show up late for work, use sick days frequently, or disappear from work for periods of time.
- They need more time to complete tasks that they were once getting done quickly.
- They may need more breaks than normal, have excessive sleepiness at work, or fall asleep on the job.
- They may stash drinks in hiding places at their desk or locker, or you may smell alcohol on them at work.
While you may suspect that someone at your workplace has an addiction to alcohol, it’s crucial to proceed carefully. Confrontation and accusations can escalate the situation and make things worse. When you reach out for help from professionals, you can gain insight and strategies that can make a significant difference. Alina Lodge’s staff are here for you and your family, friends, and colleagues.
Alina Lodge Can Help Professionals with Alcoholism in the Workplace
Nobody wants to get caught drinking at work or have symptoms of addiction negatively impact their job performance. That’s why at Alina Lodge, we believe that taking an approach of empathy and compassion can go a long way. We have a team of experts in multiple specialties, and we are ready to provide access to a number of therapies and services.
Those dealing with alcohol addiction can benefit from:
- Our medication-assisted detox center ensures safety and success in ridding the body of alcohol in a comfortable setting
- A long-term residential program, in which students can take part in individual, group, and family therapy
- Mindfulness-based relapse prevention therapy to help students gain mental tools to use against addiction
- Alumni support for sober living post-graduation, where our students and their families can stay connected and supported
Alina Lodge takes a long-term approach with our students to give them as much time as they need to heal. Our students are given access to a variety of evidence-based and holistic therapies, which they may piece together for comprehensive recovery. Our continuum of care provides students with the opportunity to recover while easing back into their normal lives.
Find Support for Alcohol Addiction at Alina Lodge
If you or someone you know is dealing with alcoholism in the workplace, it’s never too late to get help and find healing. Take the time today to reach out to Alina Lodge, and we can provide comprehensive and compassionate care. Complete our online form or call us at 833.685.1700.