The symptoms of depression can present themselves in many ways, and family relationships are often adversely affected by the behaviors that depression can cause. While changes in a family member’s behavior might feel frightening, especially if they seem to be negative changes, it’s crucial to understand that family support can be life-changing for those experiencing depression. Many studies show that having strong family relationships can dramatically decrease relapse for those dealing with addiction, as well as reduce depressive symptoms.
When a family member is dealing with depression, it’s critical to remember that their perspective of themselves is distorted. Encouragement and patience with your loved one can go a long way in showing them that they deserve care. At Alina Lodge, we believe that everyone deserves a chance to find healing and recovery, and our team is well-versed in mental health diagnoses, including depression. If you or a loved one are experiencing symptoms or a mental health crisis, don’t wait to reach out for help. We’re here and ready to help begin the healing process with our depression treatment program.
How Can Families Help Fight Depression Together?
Knowing the right thing to say or do in response to behaviors that are symptomatic of depression can be very challenging. Without having experienced the symptoms yourself, it’s not always easy to know why your loved one feels how they do or what is getting in their way of recovering. With some patience, humility, and care, we can all do our part to show that we are there for our loved ones.
Some methods that we can use to help might seem counter-intuitive, so it’s important to do your best to swallow your pride and allow yourself to have an open mind. Keeping that in mind, there are some ways to improve depression and family relationships, including:
- Learn as much as you can about your loved one’s symptoms and their diagnosis. Find out what the various options are for treatments and how you can help.
- Engage other family members or close friends who can be trusted to help. Depression should not be kept a secret, and you also need support, and you cannot “rescue” your loved one from depression on your own.
- Ask your loved ones what they need so that you don’t have to play guessing games and they can feel more understood.
- Offer them help with things that keep their daily lives running. Depression can take away your loved one’s energy and ability to perform daily tasks like grocery shopping, laundry, and cooking, so this kind of help is valuable.
- Take care of yourself, too. Take time to rest, and remember to give yourself as much kindness and patience as you give others.
- Include these loved ones in social gatherings and everyday life as you normally would. They may decline invitations, but including them reminds them that you still care. Do your best not to take any self-isolation personally.
If your family member is making any threats of self-harm or suicide, take every threat seriously. Don’t leave them alone, and make sure they are safe or can be taken somewhere safe. Alina Lodge has trained professionals who can help, so contact us online or call 833.685.1700 today for immediate connection to personalized care.
Family-Centered Care at Alina Lodge
Those who deal with depression often feel isolated from others due to stigma and misconceptions surrounding mental health diagnoses. At Alina Lodge, we believe that families can provide some of the most life-changing support for their loved ones who need help. Our students can benefit from our extensive clinical program designed to support families in recovery.
We take a holistic approach, including:
- Residential family therapy program for immediate family members aged 13+
- A structured program that engages loved ones and family members
- Presentations to educate family members on the diagnosis and symptoms
- Teach family members alternative ways to consistently support their loved one
- Individual sessions to discuss more personal topics
Our graduates also benefit from having their families involved in alumni events and celebrations. Alina Lodge’s families are proud to continue supporting every student and graduate in their journey to recovery.
Repair Family Relationships with Support from Alina Lodge
Depression affects more than just individuals; it affects their families and communities, too. At Alina Lodge, we understand the challenges that families face when depression and family relationships are affected. Our experienced and caring team is ready to join you and your family in finding lasting healing. Don’t wait to address depression and family relationships. Complete our online form or call us at 833.685.1700.