March / April E-Newsletter 2023
Letting Go - Spring Cleaning
Recovery is a process of growth, self-discovery and letting go. Spring is also often associated with letting go and clearing out our physical clutter, but we can also choose to make this season a time to clear out our mental and emotional clutter. A spiritual spring cleaning. One of the key components of successful recovery is letting go of what is no longer useful and this is an ongoing practice, not a once and done process. Consider these steps to get you started on your spiritual spring cleaning:
- Identify what you need to let go of. Take some time to reflect on your life and identify the people, places, and things that are no longer serving you in a positive way. This might include toxic relationships, old habits or coping mechanisms, or negative thought patterns. What continues to present itself in your 10th step? Are there patterns you can address?
- Make a concrete plan to let go. Once you have identified what needs to change, plan for how you will let go of these things. Write this plan down. Ask for some help and guidance. Steps 6 and 7 talk about becoming ready to change, let go, clear out the past, perhaps review these two steps. This might involve setting boundaries with certain people, finding new ways to cope with stress or triggers, or seeking out new hobbies or interests.
- Seek support. Recovery never has to be a lonely journey. Reach out to friends, family members, or support groups for help and encouragement. Consider working with your counselor, sponsor or friend who can help you navigate the challenges of letting go and moving forward.
Letting go of what is no longer useful or healthy in recovery is a key aspect of recovery. Remember, recovery is a journey, not a destination, and every step you take toward healing is a step in the right direction toward lasting recovery and a fulfilling life.
Joi Honer BA CAC CADC
Here are a few other helpful suggestions for clearing out the mental cobwebs:
And while we are on the topic, “spring cleaning” our environment also has its rewards:
North Carolina Alumni Dinner March 2023
We are so very grateful to the alumni and friends who joined us at the North Carolina Alumni and Friends Dinner! Joi welcomed the guests, Bill Robbins talked about the exciting changes going on at Alina Lodge and Alumni Ally shared her message of hope. It was an inspiring and fun evening. Keep an eye out for more opportunities to gather in your area. Special thanks to Ronan and Peace and Purpose for sponsoring this event!
1st Annual New Jersey Devils Recovery Night
On Tuesday, March 14th Alina Lodge alumni, extended guests, and volunteers attended the 1st Annual New Jersey Devils Recovery Night held in Newark, N.J. Ken Daneyko "Mr. Devil" was the featured speaker, sharing an inspirational message of hope and recovery. The recovery night was acknowledged on the Jumbotron! Although the Devils didn’t win, it’s always a win when we show the community that We Do Recover!
Register Now! 2023 Gratitude Picnic
We cannot wait to see you. Join us for our biggest and best Alumni and Friend’s Picnic ever! What? You still haven’t registered? Click here for details and to register now!
Date: June 10, 2023
- A Very Special Guest Speaker
- Live Music by ‘The Navels’
- Children’s Tent & Clown
- 50/50 & Prize Wheel
Tickets are free, but registration is required for entry.
Can’t attend but want to support? Click here to buy a 50/50 raffle ticket!
Join Us! Zoom AA
Connecting with others who have the bond of a common experience can make a difference in your day. These topic drive meetings are solution focused and designed to offer support at whatever stage of recovery you are in.
Join us at the Alina, Haley & Friends AA Meetings on ZOOM
Zoom Meeting ID: 674-291-2077
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the password
All meetings are EST – Eastern Standard Time
Monday 12:00pm – Step Meeting
Tuesday 12:00pm – Topic/Discussion Meeting
Wednesday 12:00pm – Came to Believe / Grapevine Meeting
Thursday 12:00pm – As Bill Sees It Meeting
Friday 12:00pm – Freedom Friday!
Join the App!
You can join us by Zoom or make a 24/7 Connection by joining the app! Scan the poster (or click here) to join or email Joi Honer at email@example.com if you experience difficulty in signing up.